It all started in downtown New York City in 1922, when Luigi D’Andrea, a Neapolitan vacuum cleaner salesman, used sheets of tortoise shell decorations to make small heart-shaped boxes as embellishment for vacuum cleaner. When his young son, Anthony, observed that the hearts resembled an uncle’s tortoise shell mandolin pick, it gave Luigi an idea. Sell the plastic heart “picks” to a music store for mandolin and guitar playing. A few days later, he sold a cigar box of the little hearts to the G. Schirmer & Son Co. a New York music store, for the amazing sum (in 1922) of $10.00! He knew he had something to build on here, and so he started a small factory on 27th St. NYC.! This, however, had many drawbacks, starting from the high cost, from the tendency to break. So also tried with bone, stone and ivory but he knew that it needed some innovation. Thus began the era of celluloid.
Initially, in the 20s, the top picks were made for use on mandolins, banjos and acoustic guitars, but soon were chosen from blues and jazz, exploding in the 50s with rock & roll.
Since 1970, Tony D’Andrea, grandson of Louis took over and expanded the business by adding accessories, guitar straps and cleaning tools; addressed the problem of Grip on the picks and thickness, has experimented with new materials and new techniques of production to custom print on the pick itself.
Today, D’Andrea USA serves a customer base all over the world with hundreds of musical accessories, products for the treatment of guitars and straps and is proud to offer the best picks, professionally designed for a perfect sound forever.